North America is full of delights for travelers with is huge expanse of 50 states, and its consequently rich natural and human diversity. Both the East Coast and the West Coast have significant draws for those seeking a little adventure on their holidays, but if you’re on a budget or don’t have enough time to take it all in – the ideal American getaway for sure – choosing between them can seem a daunting task.
For those who really have to make the decision, this post takes a look of the unmissable points of interest on both sides of the vast U.S. of A to help you get the most out of your American adventure.
The East Coast- USA
The 14 states from North to South: Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida.
Already there’s a huge list of places to visit here – but what are the main attractions for adventurers? Aside from the big cities like Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, and Miami, to name a few, you’ve got a great deal of the Great Outdoors to explore. Here are a few excellent ideas for stops on the way:
- The Appalachian Trail – this runs through all 14 states from Georgia to Maine for 2185 miles. Going from North to South however, is recommended if you want to soak up the Floridian sunshine after your time on the trail.
- Smoky Mountains, the Everglades, and Niagara – Just a few places the natural world has to offer you that are exceptional in their uniqueness.
- Deep South Detour – take a detour into Tennessee, Mississippi and Louisiana for some amazing culture, food and music as well as swamps and bayous.
The West Coast USA
Excluding Alaska and Hawaii as they’re geographically trickier to trek on the same trail, the West Coast comprises of Washington, Oregon and California. Naturally if you’re looking to travel through neighboring states, Nevada and Arizona (or even as far South as Mexico) are highly recommended and diverse tourist sites.
In terms of adventure in the West, you’ve got a lot of variety in places to explore, from the awesome culture and vibrant goings on of the city, to the beach, as well as mountains and desert. If you’re unsure how to get the whole package, there are some great tours with all the fun of the USA included.
- The Grand Canyon – A must-see on the West side of The States, you can’t miss one of the 7 Wonders of the World.
- Yosemite National Park – A wonderful place for those who want to see awe-inspiring natural landscapes and try out some climbing.
- Las Vegas, San Francisco and Los Angeles – cities that are vastly different but with so much to explore.
- Death Valley – with landscapes weirder than anything you’ll see on this earth, Death Valley National Park is a mysterious place to get your curiosity running wild.
- Route 66 – The ultimate road trip is right here – why not add it on to your itinerary on your East Coast tour.
If that wasn’t enough to fuel your thirst for adventure, delve deeper into your research and think about how many amazing places you can pack in on one trip. Whether you want to camp or stay in the lap of luxury, the American Great Outdoors is waiting for you.
Travel Insurance: We use for Allianz for travel insurance and have since our first trip to Mexico in 2003. They’ve been there for us on our adventures – and many friends and readers – multiple times over! If you want to book with Allianz Travel Insurance, simply use this link to get their travel insurance!