This week’s Travel Blog interview:
Kim of So Many Places
1. Who are you and where are you from? My name is Kim. I was born and raised in Ohio but moved to Portland, Oregon in my early twenties. I lived there for eight years before leaving to travel. I’ve been traveling for a year and a half now, so I’m not quite sure where home is anymore.
2. Favorite thing about your hometown? Ohio: family. Oregon: mountains, beer, friends, food and Powells bookstore.
3. #1 Reason you travel? For the freedom and sense of discovery I feel when I go somewhere new. Traveling is the best education.
4. Job you left behind? I was a Sustainability Coordinator for the local government.
5. What thing(s) did you give up to save money for travel? Lots! My husband and I stopped shopping, rarely ate out, cut back on all of our bills. Eventually we sold our car, our house, and all of our stuff. We gave up everything to live this dream.
6. What kind of backpack do you carry and why? A 65-liter Osprey travel pack. It’s too big but it’s what I’ve got and I’m too cheap to buy a new one.
7. Funniest Travel/WTF moment? Once in Indonesia my husband Brian and I were waiting to catch a flight. Our terminal was closed and it was the middle of the night. We were exhausted and our only option was to sleep in the food court. We’d settled in front of the KFC but I got up to go to the bathroom and when I did I passed a room full of sleeping people. The words above the door were written in Arabic but I assumed it was the sleeping room. I woke Brian up and we snuck into the room full of sleeping people, curled up and fell asleep. A few hours later I awoke to a man yelling. I though, how rude, can’t he see we’re sleeping in here?? The yelling continued and Brian and I both sat up to discover that we weren’t in the sleeping room but in the prayer room. We’d awoken to find ourselves in the middle of the morning call to prayer. The room was full of men, down on their knees, bowing to the east. We felt like ASSHOLES, gathered our things, and literally stepped over men praying to get out of the room. It was our biggest travel mistake to date.
8. Favorite ‘Off-the-beaten-Path’ place: All of India and Nepal
9. Your MUST HAVE(s) while on the road: My computer, notebook and pen
10. Laundry: Send it out or use the sink? Send it out whenever I get the chance
11. Favorite book: Well, besides my own book Life On Fire 😉 I have so many. I’m currently reading Silver Linings Playbook and it’s really good.
12. Stay out late or get up early? Get up early. I’m old now.
13. DSLR or Point & Shoot? What brand(s) and lenses do you carry? I have sort of an in-between camera. It’s an Olympus EP3. I love it.
14. Favorite kind of Pizza: cheese, banana peppers, onions, garlic, green peppers
15. What is your average daily budget? We don’t have one. We just try to spend the least amount of money possible while still having fun.
16. How many countries have you visited? On this trip so far 13.