This week’s travel blog interview:
Deb & Dave from The Planet D
1. Who are you and where are you from? We’re Dave and Deb of ThePlanetD.com and we’re from Toronto
2. Favorite thing about your hometown? Our favourite thing about Toronto is it’s cultural diversity. We can travel the world in our town.
3. #1 Reason you travel? Only one! Adventure. We love adding an element of adventure to our travels. It doesn’t have to be an extreme adventure, but it’s exciting to get out of the resort, do something active and experience the destination to the fullest.
4. Job you left behind? Dave was a Rigging Gaffer in the movies and I was a make up artist for TV.
5. What thing(s) did you give up to save money for travel? We didn’t buy a lot of things once we found travel. We sold our house five years before we became full time travel bloggers and by not having that huge expense and upkeep, we managed to travel a lot even while we worked in the film business.
6. What kind of backpack do you carry and why? We carry the Arc’teryx Altra 62 litre because they gave it to us. Haha! But also because we chose it. It’s lightweight, it’s a Canadian company and it’s durable.
7. Funniest Travel/WTF moment? When we were cycling through the Sudan it was during a time when Darfur was in the news a lot. There were guys everywhere with machine guns and one time Dave and I were cycling on a road all by ourselves and these military looking guys in a pick up truck pulle up beside us. They looked at us and then drove ahead. They slowed down and drove in front of us for some time. The crazy thing was that they had a huge machine gun mounted on the back of the truck pointed right at us. We didn’t know what was going on and were pretty worried. Were they rebels, bandits, military? We just kept cycling hoping nothing would happen. After a few minute, all the guys in the back had big grins on their faces and they started to wave and laugh at us. I think they were trying to figure out why these crazy people were on a bike in the middle of the Nubian desert. They drove ahead of us for about 15 minutes smiling and all we could think was, please don’t hit a bump while someone has their finger on the trigger of that giant gun.
8. Favorite ‘Off-the-beaten-Path’ place: Kazakhstan was pretty special. We drove through it during the Mongol Rally and camped our way through the country. It was beautiful and friendly and so filled with contrasts. It was rural and remote and yet it’s cities were giant and modern.
9. Your MUST HAVE(s) while on the road: Gold Bond for those adventures where you can’t shower for 8 – 10 days and you’re stuck in the hot sun. It’s so cool and refreshing 🙂 Our Belkin mini surge protector. We can charge three things at once as well as two USB items. We carry two of them now and charge everything at one time and we never have to worry about a power surge because it will protect our electronics.
10. Laundry: Send it out or use the sink? Send it whenever we can, but many times we’re stuck doing our underwear in the sink.
11. Favorite book: The one I’m reading. Right now it’s Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis for Dave and Slash by Slash for Deb. We like Rock Biographies.
12. Stay out late or get up early? We’re sort of middle of the road. We stick around until about midnight, but like getting up at about 7 or 8. I can’t stay up late anymore!
13. DSLR or Point & Shoot? What brand(s) and lenses do you carry? Both! Nothing can replace my Canon 5D Mk2 unless it was a 1DS X. I carry a Canon 5D Mk2 and a Canon T4i with Canon EF 16-35 mm f/2.8 L II USM, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lenses. We also carry two GoPros and use our iPhones as our point and shoot cameras unless we need waterproof cameras, then we use our GoPros as well as our Olympus TG-810 Tough
14. Favorite kind of Pizza: Deb doesn’t like Pizza, but will eat it to be polite, Dave likes pepperoni, mushroom, hot pepper.
15. What is your average daily budget? That depends on the destination. We can spend a couple hundred bucks a day and then be less than $100.
16. How many countries have you visited? We always try to get this one straight and then for some reason, we can never remember. It’s sort of like our wedding anniversary, it never sticks in our heads. We’re somewhere around 80 countries on 7 continents.
Dave Bouskill and Deb Corbeil are a writer/photographer team who live by the motto “adventure is for everyone” Married for 15 years, they’ve visited 80 countries on 7 continents. They aim to inspire people to follow their dreams and push their boundaries. Currently they are 2013 American Express Ambassadors, Expedia Viewfinders and HouseTrip Diplomats. They have also been featured in the Expedia Find Yours Campaign showcasing how travel transformed their lives and are Travel and Escape New Nomads. They have appeared on TV as regular travel experts, been featured in such publications as The National Post, BBC Travel, Lonely Planet Traveller and National Geographic. They have spoken around the world about pursuing your passion. Follow their journeys on their travel blog ThePlanetD.com. Join the conversation on Facebook and chat with them on twitter.