This week’s Travel Blog interview:
Jamie from Breakaway Backpacker
1. Who are you and where are you from? My name is Jaime and I was born and raised in Houston, TX!!!
2. Favorite thing about your hometown? It is the most diverse city in the USA!!!
3. #1 Reason you travel? The world is way too beautiful to not explore.
4. Job you left behind? I used to work in bank call center. I hated it so much I was miserable, since I quit my life has been amazing.
5. What thing(s) did you give up to save money for travel? I didn’t go shopping for new clothes for over a year. I stopped going out as much and only went out once a week. Yes I would pick what day of the week I would go out even if on another day something else was going on.
6. What kind of backpack do you carry and why? I have a 40L+10L Deuter Backpack and I love it. I like traveling lite and this backpack allows me to travel with 40L and expand it to 50L when I need more space for something I have purchased.
7. Funniest Travel/WTF moment? Oh man I have had many, but I think hands down was my worst toilet experience ever. http://breakawaybackpacker.com/2012/05/the-worst-toilet-experience-of-my-life-so-far/
8. Favorite ‘Off-the-beaten-Path’ place: Zawiet Selim – Beni Suif it’s a tiny town in Egypt. It’s a place I don’t think any foreigner has visited. I never wrote about it, because it was truly one of the most amazing experiences I had through out my travels.
9. Your MUST HAVE(s) while on the road: My LAPTOP… I wouldn’t have survived with out it. It was my key to the rest of the world. I used it as my guidebook, my cell phone, my everything. I also would not have been able to blog if I didn’t travel with it.
10. Laundry: Send it out or use the sink? It really depends… I remember in Central America I washed in the sink often because sending it off to clean was so expensive, but in many other parts it was cheaper to send it off so did. I will tell you though one of the best feelings you will have on the road is the feeling of a whole new set of fresh clean clothes. They are few & far between that you don’t wanna touch the clothes to not ruin them.
11. Favorite book: I am actually not a reader, but on the road I became one. I would have to say my favorite from the books I read on the road was Children of the Alley by Naguib Mahfouz. Mahfouz makes you doubt religion as he recreates the tied history of the three monotheistic Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam), allegorised against the setting of an imaginary 19th century neighborhood in Cairo. (Copied it from an old FB post of mine).
12. Stay out late or get up early? Both. Sometimes the party is just so much fun you gotta keep it going, but sometimes that early morning rise is worth the view you will get that early. You have to do what you have to do.
13. DSLR or Point & Shoot? What brand(s) and lenses do you carry? During my 2 year trip around the world I shot with a P&S and loved it. I grew to love photography during my trip and as soon as I got home I bought a DSLR. I don’t know how I feel about it right now. It’s so big and bulky and the truth is I don’t know how to use it so must start practicing more, but just haven’t.
14. Favorite kind of Pizza: Keep it simple pepperoni and cheese with jalapeno.
15. What is your average daily budget? I averaged $28 a day during my 2 year trip around the world. I break it all down on this post: How much it cost me to travel the world for 2 years. http://breakawaybackpacker.com/2013/04/how-much-does-it-cost-to-travel-the-world/
16. How many countries have you visited? I have visited 31 countries… and here are more random statistics from my travel around the world: http://breakawaybackpacker.com/2013/03/statistics-from-a-2-year-backpacking-trip-around-the-world/