This week’s Travel Blog Interview:
SJ from Chasing the Donkey
1. Who are you and where are you from? Everyone calls me SJ and I am an Australian expat living in Croatia, with my husband and son.
2. Favorite thing about your hometown? Which one? Old one would be the Sydney Harbour, that view still takes my breath away. As for my new hometown, I would have to be the wide open spaces and all of the old ruins laying about.
3. #1 Reason you travel? I think staying in place is boring and it’s kind of claustrophobic. Plus travel means something new to discover, about the places – and yourself.
4. Job you left behind? A career in Marketing, selling debt for banks – no regrets about that at all.
5. What thing(s) did you give up to save money for travel? Coffee. Seriously $4 a coffee a few times a day adds up. That and cutting back on almost everything from food shopping to nights out.
6. What kind of backpack do you carry and why? I have a Carrera day backpack, it’s got those big fat shoulder pads. But as for my luggage I am still on 4 wheels.
7. Funniest Travel/WTF moment? I am still getting over that bus ride I took in Egypt, that’s a day of my life I will never get back. Being broken down on the side of the road with every car slowing down to look at all of us hot, sweaty & helpless soles while we waited for a mechanic.
8. Favorite ‘Off-the-beaten-Path’ place: I’ve not done any off the beaten travels, although we did venture to Russia, including travelling through some of the older less known parts which was amazing!
9. Your MUST HAVE(s) while on the road: There are 3 things I can not travel without. Laptop, iPhone and wet wipes. It’s my winning combo.
10. Laundry: Send it out or use the sink? A mix, when I have time, we will send it out. But my unmentionables see a lot of sink action.
11. Favorite book: The Bronze Horseman, Paulina Simmons. A love story set in Russia during the war – magical read.
12. Stay out late or get up early? We like to mix it up. Sometimes the booze keeps us up late, but the baby always wakes us early.
13. DSLR or Point & Shoot? What brand(s) and lenses do you carry? Both. We love our Lumix, but the DSLR we have is not so great. Time for an upgrade.
14. Favorite kind of Pizza: Pepperoni all the way!
15. What is your average daily budget? Budget, what’s that? We’ve spent more money than we would care to add up travelling. We never budget, we just go and enjoy. Including the time we spent almost all of our money, and then realized we had not yet purchased a return ticket home. Thank goodness for family back home.
16. How many countries have you visited? Just 23, so, so many still to go.