This week’s Travel Blog interview:
Nick & Dariece of Goats On The Road
1. Who are you and where are you from? We are Nick and Dariece of Goats On The Road. We’re from Canada but are currently calling China “home”.
2. Favorite thing about your hometown? Funnily enough we both grew up in a small town called Vernon, but didn’t meet each other until moving to the big city of Calgary. Vernon has gorgeous lakes, wineries, hiking and fishing. It’s amazing.
3. #1 Reason you travel? To have freedom to do what we want, when we want. To have life changing experiences. To grow and evolve as a couple and as people.
4. Job you left behind? Nick was a printing press operator and I was a legal assistant. Both good paying jobs, but something was definitely missing from our lives…
5. What thing(s) did you give up to save money for travel? Shopping and eating out. Making food at home for a fraction of the price of eating at restaurants and not buying the latest gadgets and clothing really saved us a lot of cash. It’s amazing how much you can actually save when you don’t send money on materialistic things.
6. What kind of backpack do you carry and why? We just upgraded our backpacks. Nick now has an Osprey Farpoint 55 and I have an Osprey Kestral 32. They’re lightweight, comfortable and perfect for our upcoming camping and trekking trip through Mongolia and Central Asia!
7. Funniest Travel/WTF moment? Both WTF moments were in India (as I’m sure many other stories are). In Varanasi, we saw 2 dogs fighting over a human arm and in Delhi, we saw a girl dragging a dead dog across a busy street. Ya, WTF.
8. Favorite ‘Off-the-beaten-Path’ place: We love to travel off the beaten path, we try to go somewhere in each country that is off the usual trail. Favourites would be sailing the Quirimbas Archipelago in Mozambique and a rural village in Myanmar called Naloy.
9. Your MUST HAVE(s) while on the road: Laptops, earplugs, a quick dry towel each and a sarong – We use it as a blanket on the beach and I wear it as a scarf or a cover-up!
10. Laundry: Send it out or use the sink? If our laundry gets really out of hand and we haven’t washed it in forever, we’ll send it out. It’s usually only $1/kg, in most countries…but we do try to keep on top of it and just hand wash in the sink.
11. Favorite book: Me and Nick both love Shantaram. The best book about India, but it’s like 1000 pages long!
12. Stay out late or get up early? Definitely get up early. Even if we stay up until midnight or something, we’re always up by 8:00. We hate wasting away a perfectly good day.
13. DSLR or Point & Shoot? What brand(s) and lenses do you carry? We have a Panasonic Lumix FZ100 (it’s not an SLR) it has a great zoom on it. We used to have a small Canon point and shoot….until I lost it during the Full Moon Party in Koh Phangan, oops (another reason not to stay up late!)
14. Favorite kind of Pizza: Pizza is my favourite food! My favourite is pepperoni with green peppers and Nick likes meat lovers – he hates any sort of vegetable on his pizza, weirdo.
15. What is your average daily budget? It varies GREATLY depending on which country we’re in. For India, about $30/day and in Mozambique $97/day. This is for two people. We keep a daily budget for every country we’ve been to.
16. How many countries have you visited? 35 including Canada. We will be going to 7 more on this upcoming trip. Stay tuned!
**A Note From The Goats: In 1 day we are packing up our lives here in China and taking off on a 5 month backpacking journey! We will be camping, trekking, fishing and exploring Mongolia, Central Asia and Iran. Follow our adventure for tips, photos, videos and cool stories from this off-the-beaten-path region. We look forward to having you along for the ride!
Follow our off-the-beaten-path adventure on Facebook and Twitter!