This week’s Travel Blog Interview:
Lauren from Never Ending Footsteps
1. Who are you and where are you from? I’m Lauren Juliff. I’m a physicist turned digital nomad who is travelling around the world forever. I’m originally from Staines, just outside of London.
2. Favorite thing about your hometown? Well, I will say that there’s a reason I’m travelling permanently with no plans to return home. I’m not in the slightest bit attached to my hometown — it’s just a generic small English city with the usual high street chains you see everywhere — there’s nothing particularly interesting or unique about it! Maybe the fact that my family live there?
3. #1 Reason you travel? I travel to feel inspired, alive, happy and free.
4. Job you left behind? I was a particle physicist, and also worked part-time at my local supermarket.
5. What thing(s) did you give up to save money for travel? So many things. I sold everything that I wasn’t going to travel with so that left me pretty limited with regards to possessions. I ate really crappy cheap food, I didn’t ever eat out, I worked three jobs while studying full-time for my Physics degree so gave up my entire social life! I also moved back in with my parents, giving up my sanity…
6. What kind of backpack do you carry and why? I travel with an Osprey Exos 46l bag and I love it! The small size means that I’m never tempted to overpack and because it’s a hiking backpack, it’s not as wide as typical travel backpacks, which I hate. I’m tiny so the thinner the pack the better!
7. Funniest Travel/WTF moment? I have so many to choose from — my entire travel life is a WTF moment. I’d have to say the time I got quite drunk in a tiny Thai border town and found myself eating fried cockroaches while thinking they were french fries ranks pretty highly!
8. Favorite ‘Off-the-beaten-Path’ place: The Catlins in New Zealand. Such a ridiculously beautiful part of the country and hardly anyone makes the effort to visit. While I was there, I saw waterfalls, beaches, wild sea lions and penguins.
9. Your MUST HAVE(s) while on the road: Aside from the obvious things like a passport and money… I always travel with a laptop. I work online as I travel, so I definitely need this. I also carry a camera with me wherever I go. I love my travel towel because it folds up super small and dries quickly. Oh, and packing cubes!
10. Laundry: Send it out or use the sink? Depends on the country. In Southeast Asia, where it costs, like, $1 to do laundry, I’ll obviously send it out. I carry a bar of soap and use the sink in most Western countries.
11. Favorite book: Marching Powder by Rusty Young.
12. Stay out late or get up early? Get up early. I need 8 hours sleep every night or I won’t be able to function the next day 🙂
13. DSLR or Point & Shoot? What brand(s) and lenses do you carry? I travel with a Canon 550D SLR and carry 18-55mm, 55-250mm and 50mm f/1.8 lenses.
14. Favorite kind of Pizza: Pepperoni, sun dried tomatoes, extra cheese.
15. What is your average daily budget? It depends entirely on the country I’m visiting. In Laos, I managed to get by with an average of $7 a day, whereas in Croatia, it was more like $47! It usually averages out to around $30 per day over a year.
16. How many countries have you visited? 41