This week’s Travel Blog interview:
Sherry from Otts World
1. Who are you and where are you from? I’m Sherry Ott and I hate this question. Never sure it means where do I live, where do I call home, or where was I born? I’ll give you all – I was born in Peoria Illinois, I call home the midwest of the US and sometimes I call home NYC, and as of now I don’t live anywhere. I’ve been nomadic and traveling without a homebase for the last 6 1/2 yrs.
2. Favorite thing about your hometown? The fact that it’s known for the phrase, “If it plays in Peoria…”
3. #1 Reason you travel? The colors. Colorful people, landscapes, countries, cultures. And my #2 reason is to stay far way from my old corporate cube life.
4. Job you left behind? 7 years ago I left my position as Director of store applications for a big US retailer.
5. What thing(s) did you give up to save money for travel? I basically saved my bonuses away for travel so I guess I gave up simply buying more frivolous stuff.
6. What kind of backpack do you carry and why? I carry a Kelty women’s pack sometimes, and sometimes I carry an Eagle Creek rollie bag. It really depends on the trip, but I actually think I prefer the backpack – it’s just easier to get up and down curbs, steps, subways – it’s easier to move with. So if I’m moving around a lot I prefer a backpack. I also carry an REI day pack with all of my electronics.
7. Funniest Travel/WTF moment? When I found out that my Airbnb shared room apartment in Istanbul was actually a dentist office. Yes – while staying there I of course took the opportunity to get my teeth cleaned.
8. Favorite ‘Off-the-beaten-Path’ place: Mongolia – that wide open space, the cloudes, and simplistic, nomadic culture gets me every time.
9. Your MUST HAVE(s) while on the road: A few emergency Cliff Bars to break out in case of a hunger attack…which sadly happens more often than I care to admit.
10. Laundry: Send it out or use the sink? Depends on where I am. Europe – sink. Asia – send it out.
11. Favorite book: Sadly a year or so ago I got hooked on the Hunger Games Trilogy!
12. Stay out late or get up early? Over the last 3 years I’ve changed in this department. I’ve gradually changed to a more get up early person. Or actually – I think I’ve just turned into a I don’t get enough sleep person – to bed late and up early.
13. DSLR or Point & Shoot? What brand(s) and lenses do you carry? DSLR. Canon 60D and 3 to 4 lenses typically. I’ve carried this gear across 50+ countries, up mountains, and to the bottom of the world…it definitely gets some wear and tear.
14. Favorite kind of Pizza: The only kind – pizza margarita from Naples!
15. What is your average daily budget? I really don’t know any more. It seems like it’s less and less each year! When travel turns into your lifestyle or work – I don’t really keep track any longer – I just have to make sure I can pay the bills.
16. How many countries have you visited? On my initial career break in 2006 I went to 23 different countries that year. However after a few more years of being on the road I slowed down the pace – but still think I’m up to 55 to 60 I believe!