This week’s Travel Blog interview:
Kim from Wandering Walters
1. Who are you and where are you from? We are Kim, Tayler, Aubrie and Nik. We are from the Wandering Walters. We are currently in Nuevo Arenal but came here from South Berwick, Maine.
2. Favorite thing about your hometown? Aggie’s Ice Cream. We always looked forward to the start of softball season because we knew this meant Aggie’s would be opening for the season! They have the BEST Ice Cream in the area! Yummm….Ice Cream here in Costa Rica is just not the same.
3. #1 Reason you travel? To show my girls the world, to show them that they can do anything! To have them experience the world in a way that you can’t through a book!
4. Job you left behind? Many….house cleaner, Massage therapist, Poker dealer and wine demonstrator. As a single mom of 3 I have always had to juggle several jobs at once.
5. What thing(s) did you give up to save money for travel? We didn’t so much save up, we sold our entire lives to make the leap to Costa Rica and now here it is much easier to live a minimalist lifestyle so we can save.
6. What kind of backpack do you carry and why? At the moment I care a Long Trail back pack (yes the beer) that I won at a bar about 8 years ago in the states. You would never know that the backpack is 8yrs old. But the girls and I are planning a backpacking trip that we will need a slightly different kind of pack to travel with. We’re in hopes of collaborating with Gear Out There soon which would include 3 of their Aqua Quest backpacks.
7. Funniest Travel/WTF moment? Well I would say that would have to be the day that we arrived to Costa Rica. We were coming through customs and the agents were trying to help us load all of our things on to the conveyor to be exrayed when one grabbed the bag I had on my shoulder which was our dog. I tried to stop him and explain to him that there was a dog (perro) in the bag as he was holding it upside down and putting it on the belt. Luckily I rescued Booker before any damage was done.
8. Favorite ‘Off-the-beaten-Path’ place: Here in Nuevo Arenal there are so many beautiful off the beaten path places. One of my favorite places is down by the lake…you can catch an amazing sunset down there!
9. Your MUST HAVE(s) while on the road: My iPhone! Not only does it allow me to do just about everything I can on a computer but it also allows me to keep in touch with my son who is in the states. We imessage all the time!
10. Laundry: Send it out or use the sink? If I have the funds in the budget then for sure send it out…there are 3 of us so sometimes it’s tough to keep up with. But I am not opposed to doing it in the sink either as long as there is adequate sun to dry them with.
11. Favorite book: If the Buddha got stuck by Charlotte Kasl. It’s a fun lighthearted book for who’s ever found themselves stuck in life and and need a little guidance setting themselves free!
12. Stay out late or get up early? Here in Costa Rica the sun comes up and goes down at 5:30….with that schedule it makes it hard not to go to bed early and get up early! When I was motivated to run it was great because I would run at 5:30 and I would have the streets and sunrise all to myself.
13. DSLR or Point & Shoot? What brand(s) and lenses do you carry? Oh man this is one of my weakest areas. I so wish I had a nice camera, but I don’t! I either use my iPhone 3 camera or I have a Kodak easyshare digital camera….neither produce the quality of pictures I would like. One day when it’s in the budget I will upgrade.
14. Favorite kind of Pizza: Oh pizza Yummmmm. The top two that we get are Margarita and any kind of Pesto. We love Pizza!
15. What is your average daily budget? We don’t so much have a daily budget since for the last year we have been living in Costa Rica. Our monthly budget is $800.
16. How many countries have you visited? Well we lived in the US but now live here and we went to visit friends and family in June so I would say I can count the US as 1 country and we have visited Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Panama…so in total 4 countries! We are hoping to either back pack from here back to the states or head over to India or Thailand for our next adventure.