Venice is one of Europe’s most fascinating, beautiful and historic cities. It is also one of the most popular tourist destinations in Italy and before too long you’ll be itching to escape the crowded streets and experience some of the best day trips from Venice.
Luckily, the city of canals is perfectly located in Italy to give you the opportunity to take countless, excellent day trips from Venice. You can visit the quiet offshore islands, the Venice beach, you can explore small, medieval villages and towns in the hills and go wine tasting in the countryside.
Other famous cities such as Bologna and Trieste are just day trips away from Venice too, making it the perfect base to see more of Italy too. To inspire your trip, here are the best day trips from Venice.
Don’t leave home without: Lonely Planet Venice & the Veneto (Travel Guide)
15 Easy & Amazing Day Trips From Venice
1. Venice Lido
Found at the entrance to the lagoon, where the water meets with the Adriatic, Venice Lido is a long stretch of land that’s home to wonderful beaches.
It makes for an easy escape from the city, as there are regular boats and ferries from Venice throughout the day, and you can relax on white sands and forget about the rest of the world, as you sit back in the sunshine.
There are plenty of bars, restaurants, and cafes to enjoy and it makes for a pleasant, open experience in comparison to the narrow, crowded streets of Venice
2. Dolomite Mountains
The Dolomite Mountains are home to some of the most spectacular alpine scenery in Europe and an excursion here makes for one of the best day trips from Venice.
Just a short journey from the canals and coastline, you’ll be transported to a different world, as the landscapes become more rugged and snow-capped mountain tops appear on the horizon.
You can visit charming mountain towns hidden away in high passes, stand on the shores of dazzling mountain lakes, and stare in awe at the towering mountains that will surround you.
Our top recommended tours of the Dolomite Mountains:
- Cortina & Dolomites Small-Group Full-Day tour from Venice
- Dolomiti Ski Tour: the Dolomites of Sesto from Cortina
- Guided hike around Tre Cime di Lavaredo, the symbol of Dolomites
3. Cortina d’Ampezzo
One of those charming mountain towns in the Dolomite Mountains in Cortina d’Ampezzo, and it makes for a great day trip on its own accord. As well as being found in stunning surroundings, this is one of the most historic places in the mountains, with a recorded history dating back over a thousand years.
Cortina is a great place for ski sports, with plenty of slopes and resorts offering you a winter escape from Venice, and you could easily spend much more than one day here enjoying the pleasant mountain climes.
Our top recommended tours of Cortina d’Ampezzo:
- Ski Tour Cortina d’Ampezzo: Faloria-Cristallo
- Via Ferrata Lipella at the Tofana di Rozes – Cortina d’Ampezzo
- Ski Tour from Cortina d’Ampezzo: Tofana
4. Murano, Burano and Torcello Islands
One of the best day trips from Venice, but also one of the easiest, is to make the trip across the lagoon to the small offshore islands of Murano, Burano, and Torcello.
You can take local ferries to all three or join a dedicated speedboat tour to save time. You’ll be pleasantly surprised at how peaceful the islands are despite their proximity to the city.
Each has its own unique charm. Murano is famous for its local glass blowing traditions, a heritage that you can see firsthand in the traditional workshops across the island.
Burano is best known for its lace-making, and you can take away some great souvenirs from here. Torcello is home to some wonderful history, and you can stroll through medieval streets and visit several churches across the island.
Our top recommended tours of Murano, Burano & Torcello Islands:
- Murano, Burano and Torcello Half-Day Sightseeing Tour
- Murano & Burano Islands Half Day Tour by Private Water Taxi
- Private Tour: Murano, Burano and Torcello Half-Day Tour
- Venice Combo:Skip-the-Line Doge’s Palace & St. Mark’s + Murano and Burano Tour
5. Castelfranco Veneto
Castelfranco Veneto is found just outside of the city, within the rolling hills of the countryside. The town dates back to the medieval era when a castle was constructed here in the 12th century.
It’s this castle that is the major sight to see in the town, as the impressive towers and turrets have been remarkably well preserved. This is a place for history lovers because you can also explore the town walls and the local museums on your day trip from Venice.
6. Bassano del Grappa
Bassano del Grappa is found in the countryside close to Venice and historically, it’s always been one of the most important inland cities in the region.
The city has some well preserved medieval squares and churches and has even seen such infamous figures as Napolean Bonaparte stay here in past centuries.
Today, it’s an important tourism center, but aside from the historic attractions, it’s also well known for the beautiful – if strong – grappa, that is produced here. You can explore the history and taste the grappa wine, on one of the best day trips from Venice.
Read reviews and check prices with our Hotel Search Engine, that gives you the best hotel deals found on the web. Our search engine pulls results from all of the major booking places, including Expedia, Hotels, Booking and more. All the options, all the deals, all in one place and just for you.
The small city of Asolo makes for one of the most pleasant day trips from Venice. Asolo is known as ‘The City of a Hundred Horizons’ because the glorious setting ensures that there are hundreds of mountain peaks and beautiful landscapes to see.
The local castle is one of the highlights here, as it’s perched dramatically on a hilltop, while you can also explore several small Roman ruins, which are a real testament to the area’s long history.
Our top recommended tours of Asolo:
8. Prosecco Hills
The surrounding countryside of the Treviso region is known to locals and tourists as the Prosecco Hills because here you can find some of the best wineries in Italy, and they specialize in sparkling Prosecco.
This is the homeland of the world-famous wine, and you can tour around the local wineries to enjoy not only the wonderful countryside setting but also to taste the best vintages and be treated to some excellent local food.
Our top recommended tour of Prosecco Hills:
Valpolicella, just a short drive inland from Venice, is another of Northern Italy’s well-regarded winemaking regions. This is one of the best day trips from Venice if you are a connoisseur, and you can tour through some excellent wineries, enjoying the countryside and sampling different wines along the way.
While you can self drive around the various wineries, you might want to indulge in a tour, to allow you to taste as much as you care to along the way.
Our top recommended tours of Valpolicella:
Just one hour away from Venice, is one of the most famous cities in Italy. Verona was made infamous by William Shakespeare, and you can follow in the footsteps of Romeo and Juliet as you explore the city.
Verona is recognized by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site for its beautiful architecture, while it’s also a cultural center in Northern Italy. You can visit the theater, the Roman amphitheater and much more when you are in Verona.
Our top recommended tours of Verona:
- Verona Highlights Walking Tour
- Verona Food Walking Tour with Wine Tasting
- Verona Moonlight Walking Tour
- Risotto and Pasta Cooking Class
11. Lamborghini and Ferrari Day Trips
Car lovers won’t want to miss out on the chance to enjoy one of the best day trips from Venice by visiting the headquarters of Lamborghini and also the Ferrari Museum.
Both are found in ‘Motor Valley’ not far from Venice, and this is your chance to see how supercars are designed and made, while also immersing yourself in Italy’s motoring history.
If you have the budget, then you can even drive a Lamborghini at their test track, offering you a fast-paced and thrilling experience.
Our top recommended tour of Lamborghini & Ferrari:
Padua is found just a short journey outside of Venice, and here you can find a bustling city steeped in local history. There are beautiful medieval sights standing alongside crumbling Roman remains.
Rather than just driving here though, a great option is to cruise along the Brenta Riviera. This scenic stretch of river is the site of many glorious Venetian era villas, and you can stop off along the way to explore.
Our top recommended tours of Padua:
- Padua: 2-Hour Private Guided Walking Tour
- Padua City Sightseeing Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
- Small-Group Padua Walking Tour Including Giotto Frescoes
- Private Padua Highlights Tour
Thanks to Italy’s high-speed rail network, Renaissance Florence is just a train journey away from Venice, making for a great day trip. This is one of the most famous cities in Italy and an unmissable addition to any itinerary.
You can explore art galleries and museums, admire the awe-inspiring dome of the cathedral and sample the local food and wine. If you have time, you can even venture out into the Tuscan Hills.
Our top recommended tours of Florence:
- Best of Florence Combo Saver: Walking Tour with Skip-the-Line to David and Uffizi Gallery
- Small-Group Florence Day Tour with David, Duomo and Uffizi
- Florence Cooking Class: Learn How to Make Gelato and Pizza
- Florence Sunset Wine Tour
The port city of Trieste is just a two-hour drive from Venice, and also makes for a great day trip. It’s never quite as busy as Venice, but it’s equally as historic and just as stunning to visit.
You can explore the beautiful seafront and harbor, find Roman ruins and indulge in the unique blend of cuisine that has evolved due to the city’s location on the border with Croatia.
Our top recommended tours of Trieste:
- Discover Trieste on Foot
- Panoramic Tour of Trieste and Miramare Castle
- Trieste private walking tour with a local guide
- Dining experience at a Cesarina’s home in Trieste with show cooking
Bologna is one of Italy’s best culinary hotspots, and foodies won’t want to miss out on the opportunity to gorge their way through the city’s streets.
Bologna is the birthplace of the iconic, world-renowned dish that is Spaghetti Bolognaise, and plenty of other fantastic, lesser-known local dishes too.
Enjoy the history and architecture, but make sure to join a food tour or to take a few local cooking classes to really immerse yourself in the culture of cuisine that is prevalent in Bologna.
Our top recommended tours of Bologna:
- Bologna Food Experience: Factory Visits with Gourmet Lunch and Wine Tasting
- 2-Hour Historic Bike Tour of Bologna
- Bologna Food Walking Tour
- Bologna Private Walking Tour
Recommended Multi-Day Tours
- G Adventures Local Living Italy Tuscany- If you’ve ever wanted to forge a deeper bond with a destination, this is your chance. Centered in San Gimignano, this Local Living adventure places you in the heart of central Tuscany. You’re free to explore the town, visit vineyards, discover medieval highlights, or embrace your inner artist wandering the Tuscan countryside. If you’re looking for a deeper dive into Italian cities, there’ll be day trips to visit Siena and Florence. You’ll share the main accommodation with like-minded travelers and a CEO there to point you in the right direction. Prepare to fall in love with Italy.
- G Adventures Wellness Italy– If serenity has a palpable form, surely it can be found under the Tuscan sun. This seven-day tour of Italy will have you second-guessing your departure date from the moment you land in Rome. After a morning yoga session and a leisurely day on the grounds of Palatine Hill and the Colosseum, your path will take you to lush landscapes of Tuscany. There, you’ll have ample time to saunter through welcoming villages, taste exceptional local food and wine, and cycle your way through the Tuscan hills. A dip in healing thermal waters will leave a rejuvenating warmth radiating through both body and mind long past your final stop in Florence.
- Best of Italy Summer (Start and end in Rome! With the in-depth cultural tour Best of Italy Summer, you have a 13 day tour package taking you through Rome, Italy and 12 other destinations in Italy. Best of Italy Summer includes meals and more.)
- Taste Of Italy (Start and end in Rome! With the discovery tour Taste Of Italy – 8 Days, you have a 8 day tour package taking you through Rome, Italy and 9 other destinations in Italy. Taste Of Italy – 8 Days includes accommodation as well as an expert guide, meals, transport and more.)
- The Italian Dream (Start and end in Rome! With the coach/bus tour The Italian Dream, you have a 8 day tour package taking you through Rome, Italy and 7 other destinations in Italy. The Italian Dream includes accommodation in a hotel as well as an expert guide, meals, transport and more.)
|Highlights of Italy|
Milan to Rome
Rome to Venice
Venice to Rome
|Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
More on Italy:
- Ultimate 10 Day Italy Itinerary
- The Perfect Tuscany Road Trip Itinerary
- 3 Days in Rome: Things To Do in Rome
- 10 Best Day Trips from Rome Worth Taking
- Rome to Pompeii: The Best Way to Make it Happen
- 3 Days in Florence: What to do in Florence
- Best Day Trips from Florence: Our Top Recommendations
- 5 of the Best Places to Visit in Italy