This week’s Travel Blog interview:
Shaun & Erica from Over Yonderlust
1. Who are you and where are you from? We are Shaun and Erica Kuschel and are from Austin, Texas.
2. Favorite thing about your hometown? It is our little hippie art bubble in the great state of Texas. The coolest things happen and the people here are just so awesome.
3. #1 Reason you travel? We love to experience child-like wonder again. People can get so
complacent in their daily lives that they forget that we live in such an
4. Job you left behind? Erica: Wedding photography
Shaun: Manager for Blizzard Entertainment (I know, some people would
kill for that job.)
5. What thing(s) did you give up to save money for travel? You would not believe how much money you can save by just bringing your lunch to work. I started learning how to cook and we would have amazing leftovers from the night before. Sure you can bring a sandwich but why
when we were making people jealous with homemade gumbo or sliders.
6. What kind of backpack do you carry and why? Shaun: Deuter 65 + 10
Erica: Deuter Fox 40 (A kids backpack but I’m small.) Shaun actually started out with an Arc’teryx but moved over to Deuter when he tried my straps on. 😀 They are just a great, hearty brand that is comfortable.
7. Funniest Travel/WTF moment? Shaun being followed by a horny llama at Machu Picchu. It kept rubbing itself all over him and nuzzling his neck.
8. Favorite ‘Off-the-beaten-Path’ place: Rurrenabaque in the Bolivian Amazon. It is a little tourist hub but not many people think about experiencing the Amazon in Bolivia. We went
through some very pristine waters and got to swim with pink river
9. Your MUST HAVE(s) while on the road: Bandana. You would be surprised how much this little piece of cloth will help you out.
10. Laundry: Send it out or use the sink? We mainly travel in third world countries and it is in my best interest just to send it out. It doesn’t cost very much.
11. Favorite book: Shaun: A Song of Ice and Fire
Erica: Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman
12. Stay out late or get up early? Always stay out late. I don’t do mornings.
13. DSLR or Point & Shoot? What brand(s) and lenses do you carry?
Erica: I carry a Nikon D300S and a plethora of lenses depending on
where I’m going. Most most recent purchase was a 24-70 2.8 and it is the
most amazing thing EVER.
14. Favorite kind of Pizza: Shaun: Anything from Italy.
Erica: I’m all about NY style.
15. What is your average daily budget? We’re pretty hardcore and we attempt to stick to $50/day for BOTH OF US.
16. How many countries have you visited? I think the count is 21 now?