This week’s Travel Blog interview:
Erin from Never Ending Voyage
1. Who are you and where are you from? I’m Erin McNeaney and my partner Simon and I sold everything we owned and left our home in Manchester, England over three years ago to travel permanently. We’re digital nomads which means we work as we travel—writing for our travel blog Never Ending Voyage and creating iPhone apps.
2. Favorite thing about your hometown? There’s lots of Indian food.
3. #1 Reason you travel? Curiosity.
4. Job you left behind? Refugee Arts Project Manager for a small community arts charity.
5. What did you give up to save money for travel? Pretty much everything. We cut down every possible expense and barely had a social life. It was completely worth it though as we managed to save 75% of our joint income and now we enjoy all the meals and coffees we gave up but in much more interesting locations.
6. What kind of backpack do you carry and why? I have a 30 liter Vango backpack because I believe that travelling with hand luggage is so much easier and it’s liberating not to own too many things.
7. Funniest Travel/WTF moment? The time a monkey stole my razor from our open air bathroom in Thailand!
8. Favorite ‘Off-the-beaten-Path’ place: Atiu Island in the Cook Islands. There are rarely more than 10 tourists on the island at a time but there is so much to do including motorbiking to one of the many empty beaches, visiting Maori burial caves or a coffee plantation, drinking bush beer with the locals at a tumunu, listening to amazing singing at church and playing tennis in one of nine tennis courts (bizarre as there’s only a population of 500).
9. Your MUST HAVE(s) while on the road: WIFI sadly as we need it to work, although we do believe in the importance of digital detox now and again, as we did recently for two weeks in Cuba.
10. Laundry: Send it out or use the sink? Send it out if it’s affordable.
11. Favorite book: The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
12. Stay out late or get up early? Get up early.
13. DSLR or Point & Shoot? DSLR. Canon 400d and a Tamron 18-200mm lens. I also have a tiny Canon s95 for when I don’t want to take the SLR out, and we’ve been using the iPhone 5 camera quite a bit too.
14. Favorite kind of Pizza: Currently goats cheese and rocket (arugula)
15. What is your average daily budget? Living in Mexico at the moment it’s $40 a day for us both but that gets higher when we move around more.
16. How many countries have you visited? We don’t keep count but probably 30 something.