As items keep selling everything becomes more real every day. It’s been nuts trying to sell whatever you think will sell for any value. Some items have flown away and some items have not.
Regardless, we are starting to get empty rooms in our house and as things sell it’s turning into reality.
Where can you say you’ve experienced Middle Earth, New York City, The Bahamas, and the Yucatan all in one spot?
Or where can you say you’ve hung out with Captain Jack Sparrow, Indiana Jones, Zorro, and Robin Hood? Our living room has been our own personal window to adventures.
One winter day I recall a fire snapping in our fireplace as I snuggled up on our large leather couch, watching the snowfall through our nine-foot glass patio doors as it piled up on our patio.
By the middle of the day, the snow had made it up to the door handles. You got to love Northern Wisconsin weather.
There were days that all I wanted to do was lay on our couch. Who has not had one of those Sundays where you should have been doing something better but you killed the whole day laying around on the couch?
There have been many dinners eaten while watching TV or planning our adventures. Our little pupster, Kobe, spent many days perched on the back looking out the front door window waiting for Lina or myself to get home.
We moved our couch into our house before we even finished building it. At the time we did not even have carpet, so we placed it in the attached garage.
Once we had the carpet installed, we moved it to the spot where it sat until this past Saturday afternoon. Now there’s a large empty spot where our couch sat.
It is funny how you can get attached to something simple like a couch. We were sad to see it go but it’s time to get off the couch and live the real adventure.
Note to readers: We departed on our around the world (RTW) trip on February 21, 2014. We traveled full-time, backpacking across 6 continents for the next 2 years. Since 2016, we travel 7-10 months out of every year creating content and telling stories for this website. It’s been a wild ride!
More on Long Term Travel:
- How to Plan A Trip: Step by Step Guide
- How to Plan A Travel Budget
- 11 Easy Tips on How to Find Cheap Accommodation
- 10 Killer Tips on How to Find Cheap Flights
- How to Save Money for Travel: A Step by Step Plan
- Essential Travel Vaccinations Guide: What You Need & Why
- How to Sell Everything to Pursue Long Term Travel
- What We Told Our Families Before Long Term Travel
- 20 Days Till Liftoff: Long Term Travel Preparation Checklist
- Ultimate Long Term Travel RTW Packing List
- Where Will 2 Years of Long Term Travel Take Us?
- Redesigning My Life at 30: Long Term Travel Career Break
- House to Hostel: A Married Couples Perspective
- 6 Month Long Term Travel Recap
- 2014 Travel Review: 1 Year of Full-Time Travel
- 2015 Travel Review: 26 Countries on 4 Continents
- 2 Years of Long Term Travel Down: What’s Next for Divergent Travelers?
- 2016 Travel Review: 16 Countries on 4 Continents
- 2017 Travel Review: 7 States & 7 Countries
- How Traveling the World Changed my Perspective of the USA
- 5 Ways to Reduce Your Carbon Footprints while Traveling
2 thoughts on “Giving Up Our Couch To See the World”
I remember the feeling of giving up the furniture for our journey! For me it was very cleansing and also a sign we were getting closer to living our dreams. Stuff after all, is just stuff 🙂 Well done on your sacrifice to make your dreams come true!
Yes, it has been very liberating. I am just amused with some of the feelings we have about a few items of our stuff! LOL Watching it walk out the door was tough but now that it is gone, we haven’t really though about it.